Monday, February 28, 2011

Shucking corn

Sometime into the beginning of summer we begin to see the corn fields appear.  The rows of stalks grow taller and taller with each passing day.  And as they grow, so does Tanner's desire to have some sweet, fresh Missouri corn for dinner. It starts as a mention. "Hey mom, can we have some corn for dinner sometime?" and it grows into a daily, constant beg..."When are you going to go to the store mom?  Will you please get us some corn?  I really would like some."

I've learned a couple of things about buying corn.  Price is of course the first. When the price is the lowest, the corn is ready. The other is, it MUST be picked the SAME day! Otherwise, its just not worth eating. So when I can find corn that meet those two criteria, well, its a feast to be had at the Ellingsons! And I have a few fellas who don't mind the shucking one bit!

No comments: