Monday, February 28, 2011

Miracle photo shoot

As we were driving home from Jessica's wedding, I suggested to Derek that maybe we ought to try and get a family picture.  After all, we were all dressed up nicely, I had a husband present, we happened to color coordinate, and the day was beautiful.

Derek tried to talk me out of it. He's a good husband, but he just doesn't like photos much. The longer he is married to me, the better he is getting at enduring the experience. Even more so, he loves the end result, but getting him there sometimes takes a bit of finagling.

I had a particular field in mind near Tanner's school (which is out in the boondocks of no where).  We were pressed for time because the sun was close to setting and the kids were tired from a long day of driving and being out in the sun.

So I had a little "sit down" with them.

"Kids, listen up" I started.  "We're going out to a field to take a family picture."
"Nooooooo" they all moaned.
I ignored them.
"We don't have a lot of time, so this is all I'm asking: If you look at the camera and smile, I have an ice cream sandwich at home waiting for you."

That's it.  They were good to go.

We got to the field, we got out of the car. I put my camera on a tri-pod and set it on the floor of the car with the door open. This is what I caught:



It was a miracle.  How I got all four kids to look at the camera, I just don't know. Honestly, I didn't even care that Porter wasn't smiling, he was looking at the camera! I was just tickled pink to have a great picture!  Never mind the messy faces, left over reception food on the boy's vests, or the fact that the boys needed haircuts and Lexie's hair is braided instead of down. It is our family. I'll love this photo for a very long time.

I captured a few more favorites this particular afternoon:






ps: we all enjoyed the ice cream sandwiches too!

No comments: