This wasn't without some preparation on our part. Each of the children's bedrooms were turned into guest bedrooms and the master bedroom became the sleeping abode for our four children. My dining room table was put out on the back patio to fit a longer table in its stead. Three spreadsheets of meal planning and grocery lists were prepared with stops to Costco in St. Louis, Walmart, and two trips to Sam's Club. I was very thankful for the additional fridge in my garage, deep freezer and the deep freezer of my neighbor! Colin and I cooked several portions of meals ahead of time. I had a notebook with 3 pages of to-dos. For several weeks I worked away at that list and before I knew it most everything was checked off. Having company is a wonderful way to get your house in tip top shape! On the arrival day, I finished the last few preparations and sat down to nurse. I looked around and savored my clean house knowing it would only be clean for a few minutes. Isn't that how it always is! But it was so worth it! Then the family began to arrive...
Aunt Carlie and Uncle Jeffery flew in and arrived a few hours earlier than the rest of the High gang.
Wouldn't you know, Tanner and Colin snatched Uncle Jeffrey right up for a good storybook!
Lexie and Aunt Carlie were bonding big time with nail polish in hand (and toe).
Then the motorhome arrived! In walked my sister-in-law Andrea, my brother Nathan and his little boy Carter.
Next was my brother Kimball, his wife Erica and their two boys Andrew and Benson (l to r).
Then, to my surprise, in walked my two grandmothers arm in arm!
To my children, they are known as Great Grandma Knights (my mother's mother),
and Great Grandma Lorraine (my father's mother).
I was so excited to see them and the tears flowed. I was not expecting them, but hey what's two more? Truly a treat! My parents came in behind them in time for lots of hugs.
It just hit me like a ton of bricks how much I love these people and how grateful I was that they came all this way for us.
All in all, we totaled 21.
The great grandmothers were cute, they immediately snatched up little Porter and each took a turn holding him. Meanwhile, we moved the couch 90 degrees and set up 14 feet of table to hold us all for dinner. I served one of my favorite meals: Polynesian Pork over rice with a green salad and Chocolate Mousse Pie for desert.
That night the kids had the tucking-in of a lifetime. First Uncle Kimball made the rounds.
Then Aunt Carlie did a number on them. Of course with cousins included!
Needless to say, it took Colin HOURS to fall asleep!
The next day was Saturday. We had 2 different kinds of home made cinnamon rolls for breakfast with Queen's mix and orange juice. One kind of cinnamon roll was the traditional bun with all the fixings: raisins, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, coconut, and walnuts. The second kind was a mixed berry cream cheese roll. It was the first time making these and a made up recipe of my own, but it was fun to try and turned out pretty well. The Queen's mix is equal parts of Jimmy Dean Sausage, ham, bacon and mushrooms. Yeah, it's sinful. Derek will only let me make it once a year and complains the whole time he is eating it that he can feel his arteries clogging, but he eats it anyway because it is so delicious! (This is a Christmas High family tradition, but since I don't make it home for Christmas usually, I thought it would be fun to make.)
During the day we did a lot of hugging.
And reading stories.
And playing games on grandma High's I-phone.
And recovering from the long trip here. a.k.a sleeping!
We also had some serious family fun! These are a Derek invention. PVC pipe inside a swimming noodle that is cut in half. They are cheap and terrific fun. Yeah, patent pending!
Some grandpa also spoiled my kids with entirely too much ice cream.
It looks like Lexie won the "most messy" contest again. (That's okay because she's always the neatest eater at home.)
That 14 foot table came in handy for another type of guy fun. What NERDS I have in my family!
Everyday for lunch we had cold cuts on my favorite Costco bread or PBJs. With a fruit and chocolate chip cookie. Saturday dinner was Baked Beans over a baked potato with homemade cornbread, a green salad and apple crisp for desert.
Sunday morning grandma and grandpa Ellingson arrived! We were so glad they arrived safely. They were troopers to be here with so many from the High family. Derek and I have been richly blessed with families who enjoy one another and it was fun once again to watch them joke and laugh together.
Don't ask me HOW grandpa Ellingson managed to snatch Porter out of the long line of mothers in the room waiting to hold him, but he did! And goodness, he had a way with the great grandmothers! Why, I even caught him giving foot massages! I am sure there was a long line for those too!
Aunt Erica pulled out my beans bin and the little ones had a time of it!
For Sunday dinner my mom made us flank steak with orange glazed carrots, a fruit salad and a chocolate caramel cheesecake for desert. It was delicious! (Geesh Andrea, I wish I looked as beautiful in rags!)
On Monday we went to the swimming pool!
The grandparents were troopers and just hung out and watched the grand kids for the hour that they were in the pool. But as soon as we got home, they got some sweet baby time!
Monday night we ate fajitas with a salad. Derek got home in time to conduct Family night. We talked about the importance of our names which went along with the occasion of baby blessings. We did talent time of course and sang some primary songs. It was fun to sing to Grandma Lorraine who is not a member of our church. She loved hearing the little children sing.
For Family Night treat we had Ice Cream Sundays in waffle bowls. Yumm!
Tuesday morning we went to the library for reading time. Our library doesn't do the standard run-of-the-mill reading time. It is a theatrical production complete with song and dance! I think my family really enjoyed themselves there. I know we do each week when we go! After reading time, Lexie found a book and asked grandma to read it for her. Next thing she knew she was reading to a bunch of children she didn't even know!
After the library I gave a driving tour of where Derek lives: the University of Missouri and VA hospitals. This tour was on the way to a fun place they have here called Going Bonkers.
Here are my two grandmothers and myself watching all this fun from the outside. They looked like they were having so much fun that before long grandma Knights couldn't contain herself any longer...
so she joined them!
And well, it didn't take long and grandma Lorraine was in there too! (I hope I'm doing this at 85!)
We played until we were all tuckered out and then we all went home. It was a really fun day!
For dinner we had Pork Tenderloin, left over sides, a salad, and a chocolate mousse trifle for desert.
The next morning was Wednesday. The family all piled into the motorhome and were off. It was a very sad moment for us.
Porter, thank you for joining our family and bringing family together. We love you! And thank you to all our Ellingson and High family for coming such a very long way to celebrate with us. What a wonderful time we had with you. We hope you come again soon! Until then, hugs from Missouri!
















8 comments:
What a wonderful time we all had. I love your story telling. It makes me want to do it all over again! Thanks again for all your hard work in getting ready for us all to come. I love you so much! Mom
Oh Emily, we love your family and had a SERIOUSLY MARVELOUS TIME! From the moment we arrived and saw your beautiful home for the first time- it was very evident how much preparation you had done. ( I think you should also include a pic. of your yo-yo's). The food was AMAZING, your kids are AWESOME, and we felt so lucky to get to meet Porter and be there for a special day. Thank you for having us!!!!! We loved our time together with you and your family!!
Nate got confused and packed enough for the second coming but we still made it, and made it in style! I'm so grateful we made the trek to Missouri to be with your family.
It is so nice to refresh my memory of my nephews and niece that I rarely see, Tanner is growing so and his vocabulary and actions are hardly the four year old that I remember. Lexi is still so adorable and I never tire of that little voice, and all her questions! Colin never stopped smiling, wow! Quite the joy to be around. I wish I knew you Porter but with all the mothers around it was a tough fight to get just five minutes. I did get Porter to sleep which reminded me how nice it is to not have chillin's that weigh 30 lbs!
Thanks again for hosting all 21 of us. I love you and am grateful to spend the time with you.
Your post was also a great food journal and recipe reminder (thanks for that) so I should also say thank you for all the prep and the delicious meals. We truly did celebrate together each night in and out of the kitchen.
Ok- We had such a great time! We plan on making that trip again it was such a blast. You are one amazing woman Emily to organize all those meals, sleeping arrangements, etc...
We especially loved having all the kids together- they are so great!
we love you lots!
What a great and precious time for your whole family! That is awesome. Emily, when you are all recovered, you need to post those wonderful recipes on the recipe blog.
Wow, I know you told me over the phone about your big shindig, but to see what all you did on your blog just blew me away! It sounds like you had an amazing time with your family, and am so glad you were able to enjoy it! Tell your family Hi from us and we can't wait to see you guys again!
Holy moly, did all of those people stay at your house? You are incredible. There is nothing better than being surrounded by the people you love most!
Post a Comment