Here is Tanner on his first day of school with a "go get 'em" look!
My little Tanner started Kindergarten this year. When I brought him for his assessment, the teacher took his hand to lead him into the next room. He looked at her as they walked out the door and said, "I already know how to read". To which the teacher replied with a laugh, "You do? Well, what am I going to teach you then?" In many curriculum criteria for the school district, Tanner places at the end of a 1st grade year.
This was a HUGE decision for me to send him to school. One which I will not go into now. But so far, it has been a good one. We do spend time each morning learning together at his level, but he LOVES the experiences he is having at school. I feel very fortunate we are in one of two top schools in the school district and extra lucky Tanner has an LDS teacher. (Actually, she is Primary president in her ward.)
I am also finding some wonderful associations with two other women on my street who are also sending their firstborn to kindergarten. We carpool together and look to each other for encouragement and support.
The first day of school was a doosey, I'll confess. I took Tanner a few days earlier to show him the ropes and get him aquainted with the different rooms in the school. "yeah mom, sure mom, okay mom, got it MOM!" But that first day...I took him into the gym where all 400+ students meet to say the Pledge of Alegiance together. We found his class all seated in a row on the center court line. It was mayheim and chaos. His classmates all looked wide eyed and stunned. Deer in headlights might be a good description. Then there was my Tanner, 100% excited. A smile broadly worn from ear to ear. I kissed him good-bye, turned around and took two steps away, then burst into tears. Pregnancy really didn't help with this one. Lexie asked me in the car why I was crying. I wanted to say, because it was JUST YESTERDAY he was born! But, I told her it was because I was happy. And I suppose I was.


4 comments:
I'm so jealous that you have such a good school! Sounds like Tanner is having a great time. I'm interested in talking with you sometime about your decision to not homeschool, if you don't mind. In fact, I'd like to chat just because I miss you! Take care - I love the updates on your family. - WrayLynn
he looks SO grown up. I just cannot get over the fact that he is in kindergarten! you JUST had him!!!!!!
I still remember the first day I took Jonathan. I knew he was mentally ready to go. But I sure missed him at home and I kept looking at the clock wondering when he was coming home.
I so wish we had other options for education here. Oh, well, we do the best with what we have.
He looks so grown up in that last photo!
Post a Comment