I have been trying to think up some creative ways to encourage handwriting with Tanner. So yesterday I did a little treasure hunt with him. We talked about how we use clues all the time in our everyday lives to make decisions. Then I taught him about riddles and how they are a fun way to give clues.
I tried to cheat and find my riddles online, but only found a few that I liked. If you have older kids, there is a lot out there, but for little ones, it was a bit more difficult. I did find two, the rest I made up. So, no laughing at some of my attempts (and non-attempts) to rhyme! (This was an indoor scavenger hunt since it was raining the day we did it.)
I had Tanner pull out his writing journal and number the page from 1 to 9. Then I gave him his first clue. As he found each clue he had to write down its location. This wasn't a spelling test, so I let him write the words how he thought they needed spelling.
Water and light I need to grow.
You can find me near the window.
(plant)
Knock, knock
Who’s there?
Note.
Note who?
The note you are looking for.
(Door) www.treasurehuntfan.com
I can see you
You can see you
If you find me,
There you will be too!
(mirror)
I go up
I go down
Find me on the wall
I make light all around
(light switch)
Sometimes we cuddle
Sometimes we read
Sometimes we play boat
But if you jump off me, you might bleed
(Sofa)
Paperclips and tacks,
A little this and that,
Pencils and pens, I am handy just when
You need pull me out to reach right in
(drawer) www.treasurehuntfan.com
I am round and I am white
But unroll me and I am square right?
(toilet paper)
I am soft
Give me your head
Each night you find me
Ready for bed
(pillow)
I am white
But not a light
I come from a cow
But how?
(milk)
By the last clue, he had written all 9 words and not a single grumble! He loved it.
On each clue, I highlighted one letter and put a number from 1 to 9. The last location where he was to find the "treasure" had a piece of paper with a bunch of numbers on them. He had to lay out his clues he had been collecting and write the letters that were highlighted from each cooresponding clue. The numbers made up the words "kitty riddles" which was the name of the book I had for him to read. We ended our treasure hunt reading the riddles together. I snuck some handwriting in and we both had a blast.
Feel free to use these silly riddles I hope they come in handy for you and that they create a little magic at your house!
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
What a genius you are Emily! Very fun way to not only get in handwriting but critical thinking with the riddles.
I'm totally copying this! Jones has not been into writing at all so maybe this will encourage him. He is much more into word games so I think he will enjoy this.
You are an amazing mother. So glad the next generation is a big improvement over the past. Love you!
Post a Comment