Tuesday, May 12, 2009

St. Louis Zoo

While Derek was in St. Louis for the month, I incentivized good behavior in the kids with a fun trip to see dad. They had to pay me 100 beads each in order to make the trip, which took them about 10 days to earn. They worked really hard at being super good and the trip was a great reward for them. (I definitely got the best end of the deal with good kids AND a fun trip!)
The first day we arrived, the weather was in the mid 60's and sunshine so we hit the ZOO! Springtime is a perfect time to go because it is not too hot yet and the animals are out and playing.


Giraffes are my favorite! Since we had all day to be at the zoo, when we arrived somewhere where the animals brought the kids to life, it was so nice to let them take all the time they wanted. The hippopotumuses were one such animal.


These purple blossoms are everywhere in MO in the spring. Though they are abundant, I never tire of them. They are just delightful and seem to shout

"spring is here"!
Momma hugs
We went to see the elephants and found both babies. The first was with the herd and the second we found around the corner under a waterfall playing in the water! We must have stayed for a half an hour and watched her.

When we first arrived at the zoo, we sat down next to this statue and ate our lunch. But after seeing that baby elephant play in the water, the statue came to life for us!

Down right cuddly!
If you haven't see the movie "March of the Empire Penguins" you need to! The penguin house was a magical place for the kids. I can see why when there is LOVE in the air! hee hee


Rinocerous hornbill


I loved this little sparrow.
I liked this bird because his feather pattern was so fun. He'd make a perfect scrapbook paper!

Tanner took one look at this guy and said, "Mom, he is saying,

"Behold, I AM CAMEL!""


No mom, don't make me take a nap! That's for the birds!

I don't see many tulips in Columbia, so it was a treat for me to catch them in full bloom at the zoo. I know I should keep my eyes on the animals, but I always admire the gardens while I am there.

1 comment:

Montserrat said...

Great pictures of all the animals!!!