Monday, January 5, 2009

Christmas Eve

We had a wonderful Christmas this year! On its Eve, I spent the day baking. Cinnamon rolls are a family tradition, so I made two batches. I also made two batches of Lion House dinner rolls. Then I made pie dough for two apple pies! I did the same lattice work on my apple pies as I did on the peach. I dare say they fall together quickly the second time around!


The kids had a delightful time helping me in the kitchen. When I was filling the cinnamon rolls, Lexie saw me put the brown sugar down. "I want some!" She and Tanner were at their post on the kitchen stool watching my every move. I told them they couldn't touch the dough, but anything that fell off the sides was fair game. As I sprinkled the cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, and coconut I would purposfully go slightly over the edge down on the end where they were standing so they could get their snitches. They were great helpers!


I was really looking forward to dinner and our Nativity reinactment. Several years ago I made a bunch of costumes for a Nativity at church. I have used them again and again since then and continually add to the selection each year. I suckered our guests into dressing up and they were all really good sports about it!


Here was the cast:

Derek: Donkey/sheep

Lexie: Mary (of course!)

Tanner: Angel (half way through he took over the Joseph role)

Elder Carter: Wise Man

Elder Rollins: Wise Man

Ian Moon: Wise Man

Alisha Clark: Shephard (I bet you didn't know there were female shephards abiding in the fields watching over their sheep by night!)

Richard Clark: Joseph (Poor guy, I don't think he was too excited about leaving his wife in the fields and being a husband to a 3 year old! He wins the best sport award.)

Dilcia Moon: chief babysitter. The show couldn't go on without her!

Me: Narrator, videographer, costume designer, director. I couldn't do it all, so Elder Carter took over the narration part way through. Phew!

We had to start and stop the camera part way through the reinactment, so I ended up with two files. I tried to merge them, but it wouldn't post once I had done that, so here they are.


Here are some of the pictures I took. The three wisemen:


Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus:


Here is our shepherd, but I thought she would have made a really beautiful Mary.

Our family tradition calls for a present to be opened on Christmas Eve. It is always a game that we can play together as a family. This year's game was the new improved OPERATION! (Can you believe we've gone all these years in the medical field and haven't owned this one?)


The Holmes joined us in time to play together for a bit then put the kiddos to bed and pulled out some grown up fun!



No comments: