Some sad news for the week. We have been incubating eggs for 12 days now. (The incubation stage for chicks is only 21 days, so we were half way there!) I've been candling them to see if I could find life growing inside, but last night we discovered that the incubator was set too hot and well, I have eleven fried eggs on my hands. (The incubator should be set between 99 and 102 degrees. My thermostat was too far off on one side and didn't read the temperature correctly for the eggs. The real temp in the incubator was 110.) So sad! We've been turning these babies every 4 to 6 hours and have been so excited for them to hatch.
My next task is to empty them out and investigate how far along the development stages were for each of them. I'll be honest, I've come to pitty my husband's job a bit more after this experience. I also find myself without desire to eat eggs any time in the near future. (Thank goodness the ones you buy in the store are not fertilized! It's my only saving grace right now.)
The final task is to tell the kids. I'm looking even LESS forward to this. I do have to say, I have learned a lot and look forward to trying it again. Maybe in the spring. Easter is a wonderful time for chicks!


5 comments:
Oh Em! I am so sorry it didn't work out this time, but you tried! I was excited for you guys, but maybe next time!
Oh, I'm so sorry. I hope the kids took the news ok. What a fun idea to do with you kids. I think doing it close to Easter is a great idea!!!
Poor little chickies. We have about a dozen chickens and one rooster. After taking care of the chickens our oldest daughter now refuses to eat eggs because she watched one chicken lay an egg and she can't get the picture out of her head when we eat them. ☺
That's too bad. Phillip's parents have chickens, but the eggs are always attracting snakes. That's what keeps me from having them.
like you have time for 12 CHICKENS! i'll bring you some stuffed animals, and when you can tell me where all 12 are at any given time we can think about real ones- funny- I'm sorry about the eggs, you really are incredible!
Post a Comment