The first thing I always do as soon as I arrive at the scene is turn on the Christmas tree lights. The second thing I always do is make Derek take them off and do them again. The third thing I always do is kiss him. (Kissing always keeps the frustration out and the smiles abundant. It's amazing what a bushel and a peck will do!)
The kids did the honors this year. Derek and I found this humble tree at an auction just after we were married. We bought it for $1. After 4 years of marriage, Derek stopped asking me if we could chuck it. Now he just wraps it back up and puts it away for another's year's use. Maybe when Tanner doesn't need a stool anymore to put the decorations on we'll buy a new tree. Or better yet, a real one!
Lexie found Rudolph's nose. It even glows!
When all was said and done, 90% of the ornaments were in a 12 inch diameter spot on the bottom right corner of the tree. The other 10% were at the top on the left side "so Colin won't get them". We put the kids to bed and that's when I had my turn decorating. I pulled all the ornaments off the tree, pulled out my new garlands I had bought last year for .99 cents, and redecorated the tree. (Shhh! Don't tell the kiddos!) I know, I can't get away with this much longer.
One of my favorite parts about Christmas time is sitting in the living room at night with all the lights turned out looking at the Christmas tree aglow. Sometimes I'll put some Chrismtas music on, but I just love to reflect upon the things I am grateful for at this time and consider the new year's resolutions I'll make for the upcoming year.
I do have to say that the next morning the kids came out to see the Christmas tree and boy did they Oooooo and Ahhhhhh! They hardly recognized the difference, but they did complain that there were a couple of bulbs too close for Colin's reach!
Our favorite cookbook yeilds a gingerbread recipe to die for. Derek has adopted it and makes it all year round. Funny thing, pregnancy and ginger have never settled well for me so I always try to enjoy these double when I'm not expecting. Every time he makes them and takes them to share, people rave about them and want the recipe. So......(drum roll please!).......
Announcing.....
Gingerbread Men
Hard, over spiced gingerbread men seem to be the norm, but I wanted kinder, gentler cookies
that did not contain tongue-burning amounts of cinnamon and ground ginger, although they should have a bit of zip to them. These are gingerbread men that look good and are also worth eating. If you wish to glaze them see the recipe that follows.
Makes 75 2 inch cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour [I have tried whole wheat and it is not bad]
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon nutmeg
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter softened but still firm
½ cup tightly packed dark brown sugar
½ cup molasses [or sorghum] (if you use blackstrap molasses, you may want to use only ¼ cup molasses and add ¼ cup of honey)
1 large egg
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the first 8 ingredients (flour through nutmeg). Set aside. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the molasses and beat for another 30 seconds, or until combined. Add the egg and beat for another 30 seconds, or until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed until just incorporated. Divide the dough in two and shape each half into an 8-inch disk. Wrap disks in plastic and chill until firm, about 2 hours. If dough has been chilled for an extended period of time, let it sit on the counter for about 10 minutes before proceeding. It should be firm but not hard.
2. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough (half at a time) to a thick ness of _ inch. Cut to desired shapes and place on the prepared cookie sheet with a cookie spatula. Bake until the cookies are set and just beginning to brown, about 7 minutes, turning the sheet front to back halfway through the baking time. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and transfer to a rack to cool completely.
3. Gather the scraps of dough, re-roll, and cut, until you have used all the dough. If the dough becomes too soft, refrigerate for about 15 minutes. Bake and cool as directed above.
Hard, over spiced gingerbread men seem to be the norm, but I wanted kinder, gentler cookies
that did not contain tongue-burning amounts of cinnamon and ground ginger, although they should have a bit of zip to them. These are gingerbread men that look good and are also worth eating. If you wish to glaze them see the recipe that follows.
Makes 75 2 inch cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour [I have tried whole wheat and it is not bad]
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon nutmeg
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter softened but still firm
½ cup tightly packed dark brown sugar
½ cup molasses [or sorghum] (if you use blackstrap molasses, you may want to use only ¼ cup molasses and add ¼ cup of honey)
1 large egg
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the first 8 ingredients (flour through nutmeg). Set aside. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the molasses and beat for another 30 seconds, or until combined. Add the egg and beat for another 30 seconds, or until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed until just incorporated. Divide the dough in two and shape each half into an 8-inch disk. Wrap disks in plastic and chill until firm, about 2 hours. If dough has been chilled for an extended period of time, let it sit on the counter for about 10 minutes before proceeding. It should be firm but not hard.
2. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough (half at a time) to a thick ness of _ inch. Cut to desired shapes and place on the prepared cookie sheet with a cookie spatula. Bake until the cookies are set and just beginning to brown, about 7 minutes, turning the sheet front to back halfway through the baking time. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and transfer to a rack to cool completely.
3. Gather the scraps of dough, re-roll, and cut, until you have used all the dough. If the dough becomes too soft, refrigerate for about 15 minutes. Bake and cool as directed above.
What can go Wrong
As with all rolled cookies, the dough needs to be at the proper temperature. If it becomes very soft as you work with it, put it back in the refrigerator or briefly in the freezer to firm up. Also, since these cookies are dark brown, it is hard to tell when they are baked properly. Most cooks over bake them. They should still be very soft when they come out of the oven, since they will harden as they cool. Peek underneath one or two of the cookies. They should just be starting to brown. I would also be cautious about oven times, because your oven may bake differently than mine. Since these cookies take just a few minutes to bake, I suggest watching them very carefully.
As with all rolled cookies, the dough needs to be at the proper temperature. If it becomes very soft as you work with it, put it back in the refrigerator or briefly in the freezer to firm up. Also, since these cookies are dark brown, it is hard to tell when they are baked properly. Most cooks over bake them. They should still be very soft when they come out of the oven, since they will harden as they cool. Peek underneath one or two of the cookies. They should just be starting to brown. I would also be cautious about oven times, because your oven may bake differently than mine. Since these cookies take just a few minutes to bake, I suggest watching them very carefully.
Glaze for Gingerbread men
These cookies can be iced (after baking and cooling) with a glaze made with 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar and 2 to 3 tablespoons milk whisked together until smooth. Add the milk slowly to get the desired consistency. The glaze should be thick and spreadable, not too runny. If it is too thick add a few drops more milk, if too thin add more sifted confectioners' sugar. For variations, add a bit of lemon zest to the sugar or substitute 1 tablespoon of rum or orange juice for an equal amount of milk.
*Comments in [] were added by Derek
These cookies can be iced (after baking and cooling) with a glaze made with 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar and 2 to 3 tablespoons milk whisked together until smooth. Add the milk slowly to get the desired consistency. The glaze should be thick and spreadable, not too runny. If it is too thick add a few drops more milk, if too thin add more sifted confectioners' sugar. For variations, add a bit of lemon zest to the sugar or substitute 1 tablespoon of rum or orange juice for an equal amount of milk.
*Comments in [] were added by Derek


2 comments:
I'll have to try that gingerbread man recipe. It looks so yummy!!! Thanks for the Christmas gift idea. I'll have to look into it. Derek has a desk?!? Karston rotates at 4 different hospitals and is lucky to get a locker. :)
The tree is beautiful! For two years after we built our new house in Fallon I was able to have my own tree to decorate and the kids had theirs downstairs. It was wonderful.
I love gingerbread cookies and will have to try this recipe.
Post a Comment