Friday, August 21, 2009

Nauvoo




We had the opportunity to go to a sealing a couple of weeks ago for some friends of ours in our ward. They choose to be sealed in the Nauvoo temple, how cool is that?! My trial came when trying to find a babysitter. We decided to go up and come back all in the same day, which put us in the car for about 7 hours total. I did finally find a babysitter and she was gracious enought to come with us on our trip! When we arrived, Derek asked her if she brought her diver's licence. She said she did, so he gave her the keys and said, "Have fun in Nauvoo." I hadn't ever thought of that! I was just grateful to have someone watch our kids. What better place to let a teenager loose with your first, second and third-born! Speed limit:5 and enough wholesome activities to keep you busy for days. She did awesome and Derek and I were able to do a session before the sealing!

I have never been to a temple sealing before where they bring the children in to be sealed to the parents. The second they brought those two little girls in, I lost it. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a dry eye in the room. A box of kleenex slowly made its way around. I thought for a couple of days afterwards about how I could explain the joy that was felt in that room that day. The only thing I could think of to relate was how you feel when you watch a long lost child reunite with a parent. My heart just brimmed as I watched this family reunite spiritually with their Father in Heaven. I will forever be grateful for the opportunity we had to be there with them!


Here are some pictures I took of them after the sealing and on the temple grounds. It was a bit humbling to try and capture what was so very special about that day. I was also reminded that I'm really not very good at children's photography. But I am my own self critic and I'll share with you my favorites here! There was another family sealed that day who were all cousins to our friends, hence all the children!

Every time I walk the steps up to the front door of the temple, I always feel this multidude of angels who were there long before building this great House to the Lord. This time was no exception! Here are all the children from both families coming out of the temple.





Here are our friends! Meet Anna, age 6. Here's Becca, age 3.



Anna got a frown on her face and little Becca played along! I couldn't resist capturing this!


The day happened to be some 94 degrees outside with some nice humidity to suit. We stopped by the local convenience store and picked up ice cream cones for our family. I looked over to see my sweet Tanner. Honestly, I don't know WHY I'm still in shock, he's always been this messy, I guess I just hope....maybe someday....okay, maybe not.


BYU's Vocal Point happened to be performing that night. I asked our babysitter if she'd like to stay to see them, or go home. Super dumb question. NINE handsome LDS college guys who can sing and dance. They happen to have taken first place internationally too! It was a FABULOUS concert. The best part was letting our kids run and dance around on the grass behind the chairs through the whole concert.

I caught this picture as the sun was setting over the Mississippi River. The statues depict Jospeh and Hyrum Smith as they left Nauvoo for the last time.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow....what a cool experience to be in the sealing room. Sounds like you had a great trip! Glad to see you blogging again. =o) and don't worry, July and August are coming to my blog soon.

Montserrat said...

What a wonderful experience and in Nauvoo too! That's where Joseph and I went on our honeymoon almost 15 years ago. We really want to take the kids there someday.

Angella and Eric said...

You are a tough critic. I think the pictures look great. It sounds like an awesome day. I'm a little jealous you are so close to Nauvoo again. What a great place.

Melissa said...

Thank you for the wonderful pictures and memories. The pictures are fabulous. You are definitely an angel in my life.