I had a prego moment and showed up this morning for the TV station field trip instead of tomorrow morning. Fortunately, Michelle Linn, the news anchor, saw us out in the parking lot, let us in, and gave us our own private tour anyway! I was so embarrassed! Both she and her co-anchor, Jeff (the weatherman) were super cool and made us feel right at home.
We arrived in enough time for them to show us around their little studio and explain what a teleprompter is, what the cameras and extra screens around the room were, and why the set is the way it is.

There were a few minutes while Michelle was getting her act together, ha ha, so the tech guys upstairs started playing with what showed up on the screen. They put up a dolphin, a wasp, Thomas Jefferson's head, etc. Michelle had them stand against the green wall so they could see themselves superimposed with each image. The kids swam with the dolpin, and flew with the wasp. Here they are flying through space!

Then they asked us to be super quiet and they went on the air!

They were on the air for just about 2 minutes for a short break inbetween the Morning Show. Michelle reported on the power outage from last night's storm and Jeff gave a very short blurb about today's weather. In fact, it was so short, he was off before I could get a picture of him in action!
Afterwards, Michelle showed the kids how the green wall worked. Here they are trying their hand at Jeff's job. Pointing!
Then Jeff tilted the camera a bit and made them all as tall as the weather graph.

Michelle gets up about 12:30am and arrives in the studio about 2am. They work to prepare news blurbs and present broadcasts thoughout the early morning hours. Then they go home about 9am. Tanner asked her if she ever has breakfast for dinner and she said, "no, but a lot of times I'll grab a burger or a slice of pizza on my way home. So, I have dinner for breakfast!"
Michelle has 3 children ages 4, 2 and 1. I asked her how she likes her job from a mother's point of view. She said she is grateful for the schedule that allows her to be with her kids during the day. She goes to bed with her kids about 6:30pm which gives her a full day with her family and time somehow sufficient to have a job too.

They told us how they've trained the cameras not to film anything that has the royal green color in it. Then they brought out a long piece of green cloth to make the kids become invisible!


At the end of our tour they took us up stairs to see behind the scenes. Here we found a rather small room covered in gadgets and monitors from floor to ceiling and a smiling crew! These were the guys who had all the fun with kids on the screen. I think the kids made their day!

Michelle explains how the head sets work so they can communicate from upstairs with the tech guys and directors, to downstairs with the news anchors.

Colin took one look at this sound board with all its buttons and knobs and went WILD! It was all I could do to keep him away from it. This would be a perfect job for him!

In the end I am very glad we came on the wrong day. This field trip was a huge treat for us! Even though we don't have a TV, the kids loved it!
2 comments:
That is soooo cool! How fun!
Hey the preggo moment worked out! Very fun field trip. I wish we had things like that around here. Instead we get to watch cows poop. Isn't that exciting? =)
Post a Comment