Monday, November 3, 2008

Yummy Whole Wheat Bread by Lisa Hill


A gal from church posted this recipe. I made it tonight and it is a keeper. I didn't have any white flour, so I substituted with wheat which gave me a 100% whole wheat bread. I also added some gluten (1/2 to 3/4 cup) and one extra egg. It came out light, fluffy and delicious!


Yummy Whole Wheat Bread by Lisa Hill
This will make your house smell amazing.
6 cups hot water
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oatmeal
3/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp yeast
Mix, then let the above bubble for 15 min. Then add:
3/4 cup oil
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. salt
2 cups white flour
Stir for 5-10 min. to develop gluten. Add about 4 more cups of whole wheat flour. Knead the flour into the dough one cup at a time. Finish the bread with white flour (2 cups more or less) until the dough is right. Let the dough rise until double in an oiled covered container. (Trick for winter: turn you oven to 200 degrees, then turn off. Boil a pan of water and place in bottom. Put your bread in there and it will rise quickly.) Shape 4 loaves and rise until double. Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 min. The bread should sound hollow when you tap it.
Note: Make sure your mixer can handle this whole recipe since it makes 4 loaves and is a lot of dough. I have a Kitchen Aid professional 6 qt and it did great.

1 comment:

WrayLynn said...

Emily - where do you buy gluten?

WrayLynn