Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Family Unity

We had our friends the Prescotts over for dinner last night. It was Jenny's birthday on Thursday and mine on Saturday, so we decided to celebrate. She has a nice case of morning sickness, so as a gift to her, I petitioned some help from the sisters in our ward to help her with some meals. Within minutes she had 8 meals lined up and another 5 or 6 ladies ready as backup. I am completely jealous since I know most of these sisters love to cook and will be delivering savory sensations to her door. I'm not much of a poet, but here is the poem I sent Jenny to tell her about the meals:

Because I know you're sick
Those birthday years we wish to wick
A dinner you may find
Eight nights at your front door's behind
Eat well, sleep well and grow
A sweet baby you'll soon have to show
No cooking from November nine
Until November 16th you will dine

Lots of love,

Emily
ps: Monday, Novmeber 10th you and your family are coming to our house for dinner. The rest of the days will be brought to you!


So, last night we did homemade pizzas, bread sticks, and of course, a carrot cake made from scratch!


Dan is a natural when it comes to pizza, he walked in our front door and went straight to the kitchen. I had all the ingredients ready and the dough prepared for him. Jenny and I sat back and let him work his magic. It had been too long since we had gotten together with them and the kids were wild with excitement.

For Family night, Derek taught a lesson on family unity. (We started at 8pm, so it was short and sweet.) Just a slice of tomato isn't a pizza (here's some dried from our garden with italian herbs we used on our pizza). We need all the other ingredients together to make it. Then he shared a scripture about how important each portion of our bodies are, and collectively, they make up the whole body. Then he put out two bowls on the floor and told us that our entire family had to get up on one bowl. Believe it or not, our entire family of five got up! The Prescotts did it too! The kids loved this. While the parents were all recovering from our challenge, our little ones couldn't get enough. They hugged each other and jumped back up on the bowls.

We had a nice time and probably thuroughly wore Jenny out.

2 comments:

Carr Family said...

What an awesome gift to give someone! I hope that the next time I get pregnant someone thinks of this idea for me. Maybe you can send some people an e-mail for me. ;) You are a great friend Emily!!!

Carr Family said...

Oh, and do you have our blog address. It's karstonandtara.blogspot.com. It is private so let me know if you need an invite.