Today is my birthday! I am 33 years old. I have been thinking about ME the last couple of days knowing that a birthday was around the corner. What do I have to celebrate? So, here’s what I’ve reflected:
What I love about ME:
I’m a red head. Yes, we take 20% more anesthesia, but I’m the only one in my family and I feel unique!
I know this sounds crazy, but I am grateful for my birth defect. Many of life’s hurdles have been because of it. It has defined me and helped form me into the person that I am. My biggest lesson learned is that I am beautiful. Not just on the outside, but really truly beautiful on the inside.
I am a return missionary. Spending a year and a half teaching the wonderful people of Uruguay about their Savior in large part taught me that I can do anything.
I CAN to anything! Though my mortal body sometimes prohibits and life’s circumstances impede, I love a challenge and enjoy a myriad of hobbies that enrich my life and push me to greater limits.
I am a sister. For too many years my siblings have looked to me as a mother. Since I was 12 my mother has worked. I compensated for her lack of presence in the home and it caused many years of struggle amongst us. We are all older now, and because I live far away, they have come to appreciate me as their sister. I love being their sister! A sister is a friend and my siblings are some of my greatest friends. I love you Nathan, Kimball and Carlie!

I was Nephi’s wife. Our 9 years at the Hill Cumorah Pageant as cast and staff taught me some valuable lessons about peace, hard work, and friendship. It was there that I really discovered how truly vivid, glorious and exhilarating life can be. One summer I was cast as Nephi’s wife. I stepped into that role as royalty to see some of my own potential and divine inheritance.
I have a degree. To those who have masters and PHd’s, this may not seem much of an accomplishment, and to others who are still struggling for their first bachelors after years and years of working towards it, it may seem like bragging. I loved the time I spent at the University of Utah and value my education. I have to laugh, Tanner and Lexie went to a friend’s home the other night so Derek and I could have a date night. The father of the home is a huge BYU football fan. For the last couple of weeks, Lexie has been chanting, “GO BYU!” around the house! Derek is also a graduate of BYU. We love each other for the educations we have received and are grateful that we don’t get into college football much.
I am a mom to three incredibly amazing children. I could write a thousand page book on my experiences as a mother and how much I truly love this part of my life. And while the lessons I have learned are many, it is humbling and still very much a work in progress. With all my heart, I love you dearly my sweet Tanner, Lexie and Colin.
I am married to the BEST hunk of handsomeness a girl could ever imagine in her wildest dreams. He is a large part of ME, well actually, he is EVERYTHING to me. Over the last 5 years we have been married, I have become a better person in so many ways. As I reflect upon it, I am truly humbled that Heavenly Father would grant me such an incredible person as my eternal companion.
Above all, I love ME because I know I have a Savior. Everything I am and everything I hope to be I owe to Jesus Christ. I know He lives. I know He loves me. I know He died for me so I can live forever with my family. For all good things that have defined who I am, what I am and where I am in life, these things I owe to Him who is my Master and my Redeemer.
What I want to work on for the thirty third year of my life:
After giving birth (naturally-wow what an accomplishment!), I have a shelf. I SO hate this exterior part of me! The worst is that I know there are more to come and what MORE can they do to this aging body?! Goal: gotta go shelf!
Time. It is forever a constant struggle to maximize, prioritize, and make quality. “Mother’s who know, keep it simple” as Sister Beck said. This has become my new motto and focus for life. Goal: ever constant self evaluation of how I am spending my time.
Motherhood is my greatest challenge. I was once told that I would learn the importance of being unselfish in this life. My role as a mother really defines that! I want to be a better mom. To be more patient. To give more selflessly. To serve. To create. To educate. To inspire. My children are my greatest joy and my greatest contribution to this beautiful world.
Early to bed. Early to rise. Let’s face it, aging is the topic of choice here and my beauty sleep is of great value to me. Goal: get up earlier and go to bed in a more timely fashion. My husband will admire me forever if I can really accomplish this one, so this goal is 50% for ME and 50% for him.
Lastly, spiritually, I need to step it up a notch. Reading my scriptures as I am nodding off to sleep at 11pm or midnight just doesn’t cut it. With the wealth of resources I have at my finger tips, my goal is to put the Lord first.
So, I have about 20 other things that I am working on or want to work on, but too many goals are unrealistic. I am not writing any sort of “plan of attack” in this blog, but I do have something established to help me be a better 33!
Emily, you’re awesome! Today is your day! Make it the BEST! Happy Birthday!


5 comments:
Happy Birthday! I loved your post. You are truly amazing and a dear friend. I hope your day is great. You deserve it!
Yes, Happy Birthday. I also hope you had a wonderful day because you are a wonderful person.
You are pretty great! I have always looked up to you. Happy Birthday!
Hope you had a great birthday. They should definitely be days when you can celebrate all that's great about you!
I loved this post! You are such a strong woman and I really admire a lot of the qualities you've listed here....and there are many more too! This 33rd year will be a fabulous one!
Post a Comment