A couple of weeks ago someone was giving a talk in church and they used a quote by President Hinckley. Basically, it was a definition he gave of what it means to be "Meek". What a difficult word! Humble usually comes to mind, but President Hinckley said it is a sentiment of gratitude. That completely changed the word "meek" for me.
The last few weeks, and even months, seem to be full of trials. I am sure they are not any bigger or grander than yours. Actually, they are probably less. We all have them. It's just part of life! However, how we approach them, muddle through them, experience them, or blow them off depends on our character. (I'd like to add, I think they depend on the trial too.)
On Sunday I was driving home from church and lost first gear in my mini van. So, we need a new transmission. An hour later we had the missionaries for dinner. One of the elders shared a scripture in the Book of Mormon about Nephi when his bow breaks. His brothers murmur and complain because it was their sole source of food and they are hungry. They forget the Lord. I immediately smiled at the similarity between Nephi's bow and my van. The Book of Mormon always brings the gospel of Jesus Christ home. Okay, so I've been murmuring. I've been stressed. I've been a little more edgy with my kids. I've also been praying a lot. I know things will all work out and that there is a loving Father in Heaven who knows me and is mindful of me.
In the meantime, I need an attitude adjustment. I think I can see all the more clearly where I lack in meekness. I think it begins with gratitude.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
thanks for your thoughts. I have probably spent the last year in that mode of murmuring. I must be way off because nothing had to break for me to complain! I hope you have some beautiful sunshine come your way, like a magical transmission fairy:)
Emily- you are so great! Seems you're always a thousand steps ahead of me in regards to learning from the spirit. You have been in my prayers, let me know if there's anything we can do for you- we love you!
Thanks for posting so honestly, it's a good lesson for me as well at the moment and I appreciate the sweet reminder. I've recently been working on overcoming my lack of gratitude.
Carlie and I made gratitude journals on the mission and we would come up with 5 things everyday that we were grateful for...surprisingly to come up with 5 things a day we would start recognizing the VERY small and simple things :) Maybe it's time for me to start a new journal...
What a beautiful garden and family. As always, loved catching up on what's going on in your family. So sorry to hear about the transmission. Man oh man- do you think there is anyway you could just buy a manual and have Derek perform 'surgery'?
So sorry to hear about the transmission! One thing I love about the gospel is knowing that when I get knocked down and drug around eventually I can get back up, dust myself off, and keep on going. Sometimes it's good to just roll around, cry a little, and throw some dirt while I'm down though. :D
I think you're pretty terrific.
Post a Comment