The last week before school got out we were invited to Tanner's school to read with the kids in his class. They made bug pop up books to share with us. Each book was uniquely written by the student presenting. We, the parents, would walk around from student to student and have them read their book to us. I was so impressed by all that the kids had learned, their creative pop up books, and how well they were reading!
Here's Tanner with his pop up book. He has his hand raised to let any available parent know he was available to read to them.
Tanner reading to our home teacher. His son was in Tanner's class this year.
This is Mary Tiffany. She was the teacher's aid this year for both Kindergarten classes. She also has her teaching certificate. When they began teaching the children to read and discovered that Tanner was reading well above and beyond what his classmates were reading, they pulled him out during reading time to work with Mary. He and one other student from the other kindergarten class (who was repeating kindergarten and already knew how to read) were the only two to receive this special attention. Though, they could not give him literature that was beyond the kindergarten curriculum level (which is a bummer since he entered the school year reading at the end of a 1st grade level), Mary worked a lot with him on reading comprehension. I felt this was a very valuable education for him and I was so grateful they took the time and effort with him.
There are a lot of moms out there who dread the ending of a school year. That means the kids are home again running a muck in and out of the house. Free time to get things done seems to go out the door and the days are hot, sticky and filled with chaos. Life is already chaos at our house I guess. I celebrated the moment Tanner walked back in through my front door for the last day of the school year.
I have really missed having Tanner at home this last year. The mornings I have driven him to school have been heart breakers for me. I watched him leave my arms of love and protection, where I could control all that his world entailed, all that entered his heart and mind, and turn my firstborn over to the care of others. Trusting they would be able to meet his physical, emotional, and intellectual needs. Not know what lessons he would learn in life without me as his instructor, his guide. It was a leap of faith that didn't go without mighty prayer each and every day. Now I have 9 very short weeks with him before round two of the heart breaking mornings begin again. I know you probably ask, "well then, why don't you keep him home? Homeschool him." That's a topic for another day I guess. But I can say, I think it was worth it. We both grew.
Tanner, I love you buddy! We made it! I'm so proud of you!
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
What a cute picture of you and Tanner! We love you guys so much!
Post a Comment