This is hands down my very most favorite recipe! My dear friend April shared it with me and then I made my own modifications. For years now Derek has always been the one with wheat bread success, but now I don't find him making bread anymore in the kitchen. Instead, he waits patiently until I make up a new batch, then devours a loaf just on his own! (If anyone knows our courting story, the way I won his heart over was once I showed up at his work with a loaf of fresh homemade bread and some orange juice. I've always said, "the way to a man's heart is through his tummy!")
One of the things I love about this recipe is the fact that I don't have to let it rise twice. Once I made a single batch, start to finish, in just one hour. The wheat snob in me likes a recipe with as much wheat flour as possible. I've made this recipe with no white flour and it turns out fabulous too! I usually make a double batch and freeze two of the loaves.
Wheat Bread
1 1/2 Tbs Gluten
1/3 cup Oil
3 cups Warm Water
2 Tbs Yeast
1/2 cups Brown sugar
1 T Salt
7+ c Wheat Flour
2 cups White Flour
Place all wet ingredients, brown sugar and yeast in bowl with dough hook. In separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to mixer. I like to turn my mixer on and then add the flour mixture one cup at a time. I don't wait until each up is mixed in completely, just keep adding. (You can add 1/2 oats too if you like.) Knead for 5 to 8 minutes in the mixer. Form loaves and place in 2 pans. Let rise once and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Lightly butter top.
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Thanks for sharing! I always like your recipes!!! I'm going to try this next week.
Post a Comment