This weekend was Mizzou’s homecoming game. I guess this is where Homecoming all began, back in 1910. It is quite the event here complete with parade, and the biggest tail-gating party I have ever seen. The school spirit they have in this town is thicker than the sorghum (molasses) they grow and sell out here. It has taken me a year and a half, but I told my darling Derek that I think by the time we move from this town I’d like a Mizzou sweatshirt.
So, we went to the homecoming parade on Saturday morning. We met up with our good friends, the McGowans and enjoyed the show. One of the best parts about the parade is the loot my kids walk away with. Everything from bubble gum to bouncy balls. Lots of cheap candy we end up throwing out and a few toy goodies to savor until they break or die. My favorite toy they’ve gotten now these past two years are a long strand of black beads. They are the best kept secret to a happy baby. (Especially one who is stuck in his carseat for 17 hours at a time.) You’ll see me sporting these cheap jewels for Halloween this year too!
Tanner really got into the spirit of things this year. We taught him to yell "Go Mizzou!" or "Go Tigers!" at the floats as they passed by. He learned quickly that translated into "Hey look, I'm a kid, cute and over here! Throw me candy!"
Aside from all the toys and candy, my very most favorite part about a parade is the marching band. Clarinets, whistles, trombones, trumpets. tubas, flutes, and flags all marching in step to the beat of the drums. It is a great way to introduce how much fun a musical instrument can be to a child. This year Tanner and Lexie both got out into the street to boogie with the music. (Though, not nearly as good as their McGowan buddies!)




I must thank my dear, sweet husband for taking us to the parade. He is not a fan of parades, but humors me and I think he even confessed this year to having a good time.
1 comment:
so fun! i haven't been to a parade in ages...since kirksville i think. they are so fun, i'm glad you enjoyed yourselves!
Post a Comment