Sunday, January 17, 2010

Christmas 2009

The night before Christmas I was finishing up our wrapping and started talking with Derek about Christmas day events.  We had just had 10 people for dinner and didn't get a chance to reinact the Nativity like last year, or read a special Chrismtas book to the kids.  Nor did we have time for a fun family game.  The time flew by with guests and before we knew it, the kids were in bed. I wanted to take some time before opening presents to talk with the kids about the real reason why we celebrate Christmas.  I knew they knew it already, but it is important to remember.

As I look back on it now, what mean parents we were!  But it really was such a great way to begin the day...So, Christmas morning we got up and made the kids clean their room.  How can we open up more toys when we don't take care of the ones we already have? Then we ate breakfast.  A specially picked out box of cold cereal loaded with sugar. (An Ellingson tradition.), Cinnamon rolls (a High tradition) and some quiche (a Prescott tradition).

While we were at the table, Derek and I took a few moments to talk with the kids about the true gift of Christmas: Christ. We each shared with our children our feelings about the Savior, His life, and
His love for us.  It was one of my most favorite moments of the day. We also read them one of my favorite Christmas books: "This is the Season".  The words are from the Primary song "This is the Season" by Pat Graham and the pictures are by Greg Olson. All this set us in a special spirit for some family time together under the Christmas tree.



Opening presents this year was so much fun.  I planned way in advance and did most of the preparations in the early summer months by hitting garage sales.  It really helped keep me on budget and still made for some fun things under the tree. I do have to say though, my most favorite (and most meaningful) gifts were the hand-made ones.

This is a Fancy Nancy pillow case made by our wonderful friend and neighbor, Kate. Colin would adopt her as his mother if he could.  In fact, I'm pretty sure he'd just about give me up to have her as his mom if he had a say in things. Thank you Kate!


These were two of my most favorite gifts under the tree. Maybe because they benefit me more than the kids!  They are church tote bags.  Now the kids can haul their own scriptures, quiet books, and friend magazines to church and I don't have to for them! After all, I'll still be hauling a diaper bag, car carrier, baby, my own church bag, and Colin!

I learned how to embroider on Kate's Bernina Artista two days before Christmas. I drooled my way through her manual cover to cover and then invited myself over to teach us both. It was a lot of fun and Derek is now VERY aware of how MUCH I would LOVE one of these amazing machines! I think I've moved it nearly to the top of my post-residency shopping list.


I also made towels with Katrina for a quick sewing project for Tanner and Colin.


Here is the hardware board we made for Colin.  Since he is so mechanically minded, this was the perfect gift for him. Tanner and Lexie helped do the painting, then Derek and I screwed on all the hardware.  I used polyurethane over the painting to give it a protective finish.  I routed the edges and had the kids paint a different color each day so the paints wouldn't mix. We made two more to give to our cousins in UT.

 


Tanner got some science books from Grandma and Grandpa Ellingson.


Derek got a miter saw from his brother. Lucky duck.



One of the hit toys was Rocket from the Little Einsteins show.  This was a gift from our dear friends the Brooks.  Every time we go to their house to do a playdate, Lexie goes straight for Rocket and completely monopolizes it.  Katrina and I started to forewarn our other children that this is Lexie's time and not to bother asking her for it.  It's like she is completely entranced in it and it is just not worth the fight. I looked all over the stores and internet and could not find this particular version of Rocket on the market any more. Katrina decided Lexie played with it more than her own boys did and smuggled it into my house one day to be given to Lexie for Christmas. Can you believe there are saints like this in the world?



It was a white Christmas for us this year.  The snow began to fall about 7am and didn't stop for two days.  It was light and fluffy snow with small flakes, so not much accumulation, but a wonderful treat just the same. As soon as present opening was over, Derek was outside playing in it.  The only problem was that it was terribly windy and cold.  Lexie, Tanner, and Colin followed dad, but didn't last long. 



The cattle in the pasture behind our house kept close together and ran back and forth trying to keep warm.  It was a pretty sight.

No comments: